'Move on'The campaigners say investment would also provide other benefits of physical activity, such as lowering heart disease and cancer rates and reducing the impact of mental illness. At the moment, less than half a per cent of transport budgets in England and Wales are spent on walking or cycling.
A report compiled by the campaign groups also calls for:-
* A 20mph speed limit to be made the norm in residential areas
* Cycle route networks to help people get to "everyday destinations"
* Better training for drivers
* Traffic laws to be properly enforced
* "Ambitious" targets to be set to encourage more people to walk and cycle
For the full news item see: