In 2009 Living Streets Aotearoa asked transport and health professionals to step up to the challenge and enter for the new National Walking Awards 2009. The awards were presented at a ceremony at the Wellington City Council Chambers, on 24th July 2009.
These industry awards celebrate and recognise New Zealand achievements for walkers, by acknowledging innovative new facilities, highlighting national best practise and rewarding ongoing commitment to walking. The awards are not just for private companies and public organisations, but will also reward not-for-profit groups and community organisations.
The awards showcase walking innovations and facilitate the sharing of new ideas across the country. By raising the profile of walking friendly infrastructure and promotions, it is hoped that future projects will give more consideration to walking friendly designs.
There were six categories of award in 2009:
- The New Zealand Best Practice Walking Facility
- Top Commitment to Walking by a New Zealand Organisation
- Consultancy Award for Walking Excellence in New Zealand
- New Zealand Accessibility Innovation Award
- Best New Zealand Walking Promotion
- Best New Zealand Small Project
For more information on the categories, select award_categories.pdf below.