The Government has released its Emissions Reduction Plan (ERP) discussion document, which sets out its plans for making emissions reductions between now and 2035 and asks for help in making these plans stronger.
We've prepared a guide to making a submission on this important Plan. We make eight points that you may like to incorporate into your submissions. We want
- a more ambitious target for reduction in vehicle kilometers travelled
- support for the development of a walking strategy
- an increased budget for walking improvements
- adoption of the sustainable transport hierarchy (that's the one with pedestrians first!)
- a review of the mode shift plans for main and all urban areas
- support for use of road pricing mechanisms
- support for local councils to speed up road reallocations, like those that happened in Covid19 lockdowns
- support for the Government taking an integrated approach to transport emission reductions so that there are no silos.
We hope you can use these points to make a submission by 24 November. More detailed points are provided in the attached submission guide.