A few low cost changes can make it easier for people to consider walking for transport.
- Provide coat racks for hanging coats and jackets. If possible provide somewhere to dry wet gear.
- Provide lockers for storing shoes and clothes so that people can dress comfortably for walking to work, and then change when they arrive at work if necessary.
- Larger workplaces might be able to provide showers for freshening up after a run or brisk walk.
- Provide umbrellas for walking to meetings. Christchurch City Council recently invested in some “pool” umbrellas, cool enough to use but not for them to “disappear”.
- Provide pool bicycles so that people who walk to work can still do errands during the day that would take too long on foot